DARTMOUTH, 22; HARVARD,

Harvard Demoralized in Second Half.--Secret Practice This Week.

Harvard was defeated last Saturday by the wide-awake, hard-fighting Dartmouth eleven, by the score of 22 to 0. The large score was due to this alertness and indomitable aggressiveness, coupled with the magnificent team play which Dartmouth displayed. The visitors took advantage of every fumble, forward pass or blocked punt, and were never caught napping. Their speedy and heavy backs varied the attack with a bewildering series of formations for end runs, line bucks and forward passes which kept the University team guessing.

On the defense, the two teams were about evenly matched. The Harvard line showed great improvement in this respect, and from tackle to tackle, the Dartmouth backs were unable to gain with any regularity. Outside of tackle and around end, however, Captain Glaze drove his backs for Dartmouth's steadiest gains. On the other hand, the Dartmouth line was almost impregnable to the University backs, and as the game progressed Harvard's gains became more and more intermittent.

The University ends showed but little improvement over the Carlisle game, and did not cover Burr's punts well, nor did they follow the ball the way Schildmiller and Kennedy, the Dartmouth ends, did. At tackle, Burr played his usual strong game, and Fish showed great improvement. His defensive work was the best that he has done this season. The Harvard centre trio divided honors with their opponents, except for Grant, for whom Brusse was no match. Grant was, as usual, one of the first men down under punts. He succeeded in blocking one of Glaze's attempted goals from placement and in cutting off a fake forward pass. Gilder, who played during most of the game at quarterback, after Newhall was injured, covered his backfield position fairly well, but used very poor judgment in his choice of plays, and did not run the team with the snap which characterized Newhall's playing. Wendell was the life of the Harvard backfield, and in his first game of the season showed all his former speed and ability to keep his feet. He made some fumbles, however, which proved costly. Apollonio backed up the line well on the defense and when called upon to carry the ball, he hit the line hard and was never thrown for a loss. Captain Glaze of Dartmouth deserves credit for the manner in which he ran his team, and for the fighting spirit of the men, for which he was largely responsible.

The Game in Detall.

Newhall made a beautiful run of 58 yards on the kick-off and leached Dartmouth's 40-yard line before being downed. Three plays failed to gain and, after Newhall's kick, Dartmouth worked the ball back to the 48-yard line, where Rand recovered a fumble. Newhall's onside kick was recovered by Bird on the 15-yard line, and it looked as if Har- vard was good for a touchdown at the very start. Five yards were gained in three plays and then a forward pass was made almost into Bird's hands, but he missed it on the goal line. Ingersoll punted and, aided by a 33-yard run by Apollonio, the ball was again brought within striking distance of Dartmouth's goal. But it was lost on a forward pass, and, after a few plays, Ingersoll again punted. Once more Harvard rushed the ball back only to lose it for the third time on a forward pass. In two plays, Stuart and Kennedy gained 45 yards and put the ball in Harvard's territory, where it stayed for the rest of the half. Glaze tried a goal from placement from the 30-yard line, but missed it by a small margin. Towards the close of the half, Ingersoll and Marks rushed the ball to Harvard's 2-yard line, where they were held for downs.

After Burr's kick-off in the second half, the ball was punted back and forth over the middle line, and neither goal was in danger until, when on Harvard's 38-yard line, Burr punted. The kick was blocked; Kennedy caught it and ran 35 yards for the first touchdown.

After several exchanges of punts following the next kick-off, Wendell tried an onside kick from Harvard's 43-yard line. The ball went almost straight across the field towards the Harvard stands. Ingersoll caught it on the bounce and, under beautiful interference and by clever dodging, ran 48 yards for a touchdown. Glaze kicked the goal, making the score 12 to 0.

The ball was in Dartmouth's territory after the next kick-off until Marks recovered an onside kick almost from under the feet of several Harvard men. After three plays, Glaze kicked a place goal from the 25-yard line, making the score 16 to 0.

Just before Dartmouth's final tally, Peirce, Grant and Apollonio worked a very pretty play. Peirce and Grant blocked a fake forward pass and Peirce ran eight yards down the field before being tackled. As he fell he passed back to Apollonio, who ran 10 yards further before he was downed. Immediately after this play Lockwood, who had replaced Rand, lost 12 yards on an end play, and then Wendell punted. Three Dartmouth men broke through simultaneously and blocked the kick. Tobin picked it up and ran 30 yards for the last touchdown of the game.

The summary:

DARTMOUTH.  HARVARD.Kennedy, De Angelis, l.e.  r.e., Macdonald, BrowneR. Bankart, Sherwin, l.t.  r.t., FishBaldwin, Tobin, l.g.  r.g., PeirceBrusse, c.  c., Grant, NourseRich, r.g.  l.g., HoarLang, r.t.  l.t., Burr, HaddenSchildmiller, Saxton, r.e.  l.e., Bird, HoustonGlaze, q.b.  q.b., Newhall, GilderIngersoll, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Rand, LockwoodStuart, Hawley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., WendellMarks, L. Bankart, f.b.  f.b., Apolloni