A GENERAL MEMORANDUM.

Men upon whom the duty of planning smokers, mass meetings, lectures and other gatherings devolves are often greatly handicapped by not knowing of something equally important which will conflict with their arrangements. This is not due merely to the lateness of decision, for many important affairs are scheduled weeks ahead; it is due rather to the impossibility of consulting every other man who might possibly intend to hold a meeting on the same date. This applies principally to occasions which draw large numbers, but the difficulty is equally great for men who are in charge of small functions, such as Freshman receptions or small class dinners, and who often find that their guests give preference to a more important engagement.

As a possible remedy for this difficulty the suggestion is made that a general memorandum book should be started in the Union, and the Union authorities have expressed themselves as willing to give the plan a trial. It is hardly necessary to say that the value of the book will depend entirely upon the spirit with which it is used. An incomplete record is scarcely better than none at all, and in some cases much confusion might result from the omission of important dates. The CRIMSON will be glad to assist as far as lies within its power, but as many meetings are not announced until shortly before they occur, the responsibility of keeping the record up-to-date will fall ultimately upon the men who are making the arrangements.