Large Exhibition Hall in Cambridge

A public hall larger than the Mechanics' Building in Boston is to be built in Cambridge on the Cambridge bank of the Charles River Basin, almost midway between Harvard Bridge and the new Boston Bridge. Although the building is being constructed chiefly for purposes of exhibition, it is expected that large indoor athletic contests, and perhaps national conventions will be given the use of the hall. It will be especially suitable for automobile and motor boat shows, since trials of the motor boats can be viewed at the same time that the automobiles are being exhibited in the hall.

The foundations of the building have already been laid by the contractors, Woodbury and Leighton, between Esplanade, Wadsworth, and Amherst streets. The building will be 500 feet long, 200 feet wide, and will have a dome 114 feet high. The architect, Mr. Edward T. Graham '00, has designed the building in the Doric style. The first floor will have an arena under the dome 120 feet in diameter. Surrounding this will be a circular gallery, starting on the second floor and extending up into the dome. The second floor will also be open for a wide space running parallel with the length of the building, forming large galleries. The circular gallery under the dome will hold about 2000.

The builders are "The First World's Shoe and Leather Fair Co.," who will hold an annual shoe fair in the building for the next ten years. They hope to have the building finished by June, 1908.