Fifth Noble Lecture Last Night

The fifth Noble lecture, given last night in Sanders Theatre by Bishop C. H. Brent, D.D., was on "The Power of Fellowship with the Divine." The speaker emphasized the fact that the leader whose influence is to be more than passing must reach out beyond the things seen and come face to face with the verities that lie behind mortal things and with the great personality of God.

Fellowship with the Divine is just as normal as with the human: what is more, it is necessary in order for a leader to be really human, and in it there is also an element by which we can rise above the commonplace.

In speaking of vocation, he said that a man who has gained this sense must guard against letting it separate him from the crowd: his first duty must be to show other men that they too have a call. That great failure in leadership, Napoleon Bonaparte, had the fault that he saw only his own star of destiny, and there came a time when other men failed to see that star. Men of vocation, to use their power must fit in with other men of vocation. The alliance of Wash- ington and Hamilton: of Lincoln with the members of his cabinet-all men with a strong sense of duty-show that this working together is possible and, for success, is imperative. The true leader must be in correspondence with God, and from Him get the sense of vocation, as well as from the call of the people