PRES. ROOSEVELT IN UNION

Will Speak in Living Room This Afternoon at 2.30.-List of Ushers and Other Arrangements.

Theodore Roosevelt '80, President of the United States, will deliver an address in the Living Room of the Union this afternoon at 2.30 o'clock under the auspices of the Union and the Political Club. J. D. White '07, Vice-President of the Union, will introduce the speaker.

President Roosevelt is the fourth graduate of this University to hold the chief executive office of the country. John Adams 1755, John Quincy Adams 1787, and R. B. Hayes '45 were the other Harvard men who have filled this office. It is interesting to note that no other college has had an equal number of Presidents from their graduates. His first speech was made in support of one of the candidates for class president during his Freshman year. As an editor of the Advocate he did the same serious, faithful work, which has enabled him in later years to produce a considerable amount of excellent writings. He graduated twenty-second in his class, he won but few academic honors, he delivered no Commencement part, he received no second year or final honors, his only honorable mention was in Natural History, and yet, three years after his graduation, he had published his "War of 1812," had become a member of the New York legislature, had become the Republican leader on the floor, and was his party's candidate for speaker. The subsequent steps of his successful career are too well known to need further mention. After speaking at the Union he will make a short visit to the Hasty Pudding Club.

Major H. L. Higginson '55, President of the Union; L. B. R. Briggs '75, Dean of the Faculty; Robert Bacon '80, Assistant Secretary of State; A. H. Woods '92, Graduate Secretary of the Intercollegiate Civic League; R. L. Bacon '07, President of the Political Club; Professor I. N. Hollis h. '99, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Union, and J. D. White '07 will be on the platform with the President.

The Governing Board, which will be assisted by 60 ushers, during the lecture, request that there be no smoking in the Living Room after 1.30 o'clock, that no chairs be taken into the Living Room, and that no men be allowed on the grounds of the Union unless that have tickets of admission. The Governing Board wish to state their regret at not being able to place chairs in the Living Room and the balcony because of lack of space.

Admission to the Union today will be by special tickets, which may be obtained at the Union office, by showing membership tickets this morning until 11 o'clock. Admittance after 11 o'clock will require both special and membership tickets, and all men in the Union at that time must show both tickets. No one will be admitted otherwise. The balcony is reserved for members of the Faculty who are members of the Union. They may obtain special tickets at the Union office before 11 o'clock.

Lunch will be served in the Dining Room will 11.30 until 2 o'clock, tickets for which are on sale this morning at the office of the Union at 50 cents each. No meals will be served except to holders of such tickets.

All ushers are required to show both membership and special tickets before being admitted to the building. The ushers must report at 12.30 o'clock and receive badges. No badges will be held. 1907 men report to H. Foster, Jr., 1908 men to H. Gilmore, 1909 men to F. H. Burr, and 1910 men to R. C. Brown, D. G. Field will act as head usher.

The following men have been appointed ushers:

Seniors-G. Bailey, D. G. Field, H. Foster, Jr., S. Gano, A. G. Grant, R. B. Gregg, H. Hagedorn, J. H. Ijams, W. H. Keeling, G. A. Leland, W. Minot, J. M. Morse, H. W. Nichols, C. G. Osborne, J. Reynolds, F. H. Sibley, R. J. Walsh, R. H. Wiswall, G. Whitney.

Juniors-C. Appollonio, G. G. Bacon, G. G. Ball, D. S. Brigham, K. G. Carpenter, H. Channing, P. E. Dutcher, G. Emerson, S. Irvin, H. M. Gilmore, H. Inches, M. L. Newhall, E. V. B. Parke, B. Parker, C. C. Pell, B. T. Stephenson, J. S. Whitney, C. Wiggins, E. T. Witherby.

Sophomores-F. H. Burr, E. P. Currier, T. C. Defroez 2nd. R. M. Faulkner, E. M. Gilbert, H. Gray, O. L. M. H. Lyding, W. D. Phillipbar, T. Roosevelt, Jr., F. Schenck, O. G. Wood.

Freshmen-E. C. Bacon, E. L. Beard, R. C. Brown, W. R. Buxton, H. Fish, W. P. Fuller, A. C. Gilbert, R. W. Hall, C. C. Little, S. M. Lowrey, E. Reynolds