H. P. C. UNDERGRADUATE NIGHT

At 8 in the Club Theatre.--Successful Spanish Comedy with Tuneful Music.

A special performance of "The Lotos-Eaters," the Hasty Pudding Club play, will be presented in the club theatre on Holyoke street, for members of the University only, this evening at 8 o'clock. Tickets at $1 each are on sale at Amee's, Leavitt & Peirce's, the Co-operative, and may be obtained at the door this evening.

In "The Lotos-Eaters," as given at the graduates' night performance, the Hasty Pudding Club has at last produced a play which contains situations. The lines are often slow, and the actors are forced to make up by emphasis what the repartee lacks in wit; the villains noisily confide in the audience while the police are down stage; but the complications of a disguised undergraduate acting as guide to his Class Day flame, and getting mixed up with an anarchist plot furnish two acts full of good scenes.

The music by E. Ballantine '07 sounds distinctly the Spanish note, it contains no echoes, and, while it is tuneful and easy, it is never ordinary. Best of all, the songs stand the test of popularity,--they "whistle well." R. D. Flint '07 has also contributed two pleasing musical numbers.

The acting is steadily above the chances furnished by the lines. The two principals of the cast, C. L. Hay '08 and G. G. Bacon '08 give promise of becom ing one of the famous "teams" of the Pudding stage. Hay overworks two or three farcical expressions, but in his burlesque society drama, "Bear and Forebear," it is impossible to look upon his impersonation of the stage child without sympathy, and he throws a most attractive fit. Bacon's makeup, with its resemblance to Miss Ethel Barrymore would probably cause that lady exquisite enjoyment, and his acting still more. He imitates female affectations with a fidelity which approaches scholarship. W. P. Blodget '07 as "Ethel" made the prettiest girl of the company, and was especially clever in the dumb show of the "Etiquette" song. W. D. Robbins '08 as "Angela" was a geuine impersonation. His gestures were few and natural, and his singing and dancing was at all times graceful and simple. The "Mrs. Butterworth of C. G. Osborne '07 was a caricature, but one of the funniest caricatures ever seen on the Pudding stage. It was not a figure one had ever seen, but a figure one would not be at all surprised to see. His song, "I'm a hustling, bustling woman," with the accompanying dance, was extraordinary without being mortifying. Osborne found it as difficult to stay in his part as in his costume, but the song was one of the hits of the show. B. Moore '08 as the anarchist, marred what was otherwise a clever burlesque of the villain of melodrama by continual overemphasis. He is potentially the best actor in the cast, but fails to "arrive" on account of such faults as a noisy and meaningless spatting of his hands and a reluctance to let go of his consonants. F. M. Gunther '07 proved himself worthy of the better acting chance furnished in the burlesque, "The Goirl of the Golden Pest," by his not too emphatic satire of the matinee idol. It was a piece of mock heroics all the funnier for being in restraint. The palm for genuine acting, however, must go to the player of a subordinate part. H. E. Widener '07 as Abadiah Butterworth," the self-made man, was the thing itself. He stayed in his part, and he never failed to make his points carry. As the sheriff in the burlesque he was even better, and his complete change of voice, method and manner, proved that his genuineness in the other role had been skill and not accident. His control of the situation was so perfect that the audience came near forgetting that the piece was a burlesque, and his exit was followed by a storm of applause. J. J. Rowe '07, as the waiter, is musically the backbone of the play, and his songs display his powerful and resonant voice to the utmost advantage. S. P. Henshaw '07 as the king, and H. W. Nichols '07 as the conspirator furnish two lively and amusing caricatures.

The admirable stage management and lighting of the play is the work of S. Baird '03, who has coached the production. "The chorus sings with vigor and accuracy, and the dances are a blaze of gorgeous color. The six Spanish dancers who appear in the second act, make as handsome a group as has been seen on the Pudding stage in recent years. They are agile and spirited and go about their work with confidence; and it is difficult to watch the performance without forgetting that it is a piece of make-believe. Taken as a whole, "The Lotos-Eaters" in plot, music and acting is one of the most brilliant productions of the club. It shows liveliness, wit, talent and originality.

The east is as follows:

Percival Winterbottom, a Harvard Student (?)  C. L. Hay '08Professor Domehead Winterbottom, Emeritus Professor of Philosophy at Harvard  F. M. Gunther '07Ethel Adams Winterbottom, his daughter  W. P. Blodget '07Mrs. Jane Abadiah Butterworth, a masterful woman from Chicopee Falls, near Springfield, Mass.,  C. G. Osborne '07Mr. Abadiah Burdock Butterworth, her husband  H. E. Widener '07Amelia Barrymore Butterworth, their daughter  G. C. Bacon '08Angela de Cazonetta, a Castilian with a past  W. Robbins '08Don Juan de Pistadio de Gorgonzola, a very bad man,  B. Moore '08King Alphonzo of Spain S. P. Henshaw '07 Carambo, lord Chamberlain S. Ervin '08 Henry Lacklustre, a philosophical waiter  J. J. Rowe '07Hottatamale, chief anarchist  H. W. Nichols '07Jujube  S. T. Hubbard '0