A. J. Montague on "South of Today"

Hon. A. J. Montague, ex-governor of Virginia, gave an interesting lecture last night on "The South of Today."

Governor Montague said that the most important feature of the present question in the South was the failure of educated young men to return to live in the South. From Virginia, 38 per cent. of the native-born whites are now living in other states of the Union. The country, however, is progressing, and the demands upon trained men are becoming more and more exacting.

At present the economic and industrial changes, which are following the increased productivity in the South, are leading to greater co-operation among the races, and this is the end towards which all efforts are being concentrated.

All the former feelings of confederacy have been obliterated by the general feeling of responsibility for the country as a nation. As great a readiness would be shown by the Southerners in standing by the flag of the nation in any call to arms as was ever shown in standing by the confederate flag. But, after all, the greatest care should be taken with the education of the negro.