LAST HARD CREW PRACTICE

University Eight Had Last Hard Work Before Columbia Race Yesterday.

The University crew had its last hard work before the Columbia race, yesterday afternoon. Accompanied by Coach Wray in his single scull, the eight went upstream for a mile and three-quarters in short stretches before turning. Most of the time on the way upstream the men paddled along at an easy gait, but in a couple of stretches the stroke was raised and lowered to accustom the men to short sprints. Soon after starting Burchard injured one of his thumbs, but after it had been bound, he was able to proceed. Returning downstream the second crew was overtaken and four racing starts were tried. In these the University crew finished ahead twice, the second once, and on the other start the two crews ended even. Before leaving the river the University crew took a turn upstream from the Boylston street bridge to the Infirmary and back.

Throughout the practice the whole crew seemed to have considerable difficulty in controlling their slides. The blade work was very smooth and the men pulled together in splendid form, and on the trip upstream the boat spaced out almost to the rudder posts. They did not do so well on the row down-stream against the tide, however, and at times the shell checked perceptibly. Physically the men are in very good condition, although they are not trained very fine. They are all able to follow Tappan quite well, as was shown yesterday, when he raised the stroke to about 40 on a couple of starts.

P. Musgrave '94, T.N. Manahan M.'98, and J.R. Montgomery '06 watched the practice of the crews from the "John Harvard."

The Orders.

University crew--Stroke, Tappan; 7, Amberg; 6, Glass; 5, Richardson; 4, R. Bacon; 3, Faulkner; 2, Fish; bow, Burchard; cox., Blagden.

University second crew--Stroke, Farley; 7, Morgan; 6, Lovering; 5, Hanfstaengl; 4, Lunt; 3, Swaim; 2, G. Bacon; bow, Wiggins; cox., Arnold.