Book and Furniture Collections

The Social Service Committee will make a special collection early next week, to secure books for the Text Book Loan Library in Phillips Brooks House and furniture for the Loan Furniture Association. A collector will be appointed in each entry or floor of each dormitory; and on Monday and Tuesday the dormitory collectors will gather up all the donations.

There is a great need for large additions to the Text Book Loan Library. Over 500 books were given at this time last year to start the library, and a good deal of use has been made of it; but the collection is very incomplete, and shelves have been built to hold 1500 books. All text and reference books used in College are desired. Magazines and books of fiction will also be received; these will be sent to hospitals and life saving stations.

The collection of furniture has not been tried before, but it is believed that many Seniors, third-year Law men and others have furniture which they would be glad to give for the use of the poorer students in the University, rather than to sell it to second-hand dealers or turn it over to the janitors. The Loan Furniture Association has about 80 complete or partial sets, but has no means of adding to its supply and could use many more sets.

Men living in private houses, who have books or furniture to give, and any men not seen by the collectors are asked to send their names to J. B. Marsh, 33 Bow street with a list of the furniture and time when it can be obtained. The furniture will also be collected by wagon on Wednesday.