Review of Class Day Lampoon

By W. R. Castle jr.

The Senior sitting at the top of the of the world is a fitting cover for the Class Day Lampoon. On that day, at least, the Senior feels absolute proprietorship of the world and probably of that world's representatives: the sisters and other fellows' sisters who make Class Day "or better Lass Day," what it is. Not yet does he have that sensation of the world slipping from under him that comes on Commencement. But the Lampoon would not suggest sad thoughts so appropriately. The Hero is firmly seated. The color on the cever and as a background of many of the pictures is blue, probably as a contrast to the predominant Class Day red, and to the general hilarity of the reading matter. The illustrations are unusually good, carefully drawn, suggestive and appropriate. Some are purely humcrous, some satirical, as the "Suggestion for Gore Hall," "The Insignia Craze at Harvard," and "Why change your hatband every day?" The two last mentioned are especially appropriate as a protest against the growing love of wearing distinguishing insignia, a custom contrary to tradition except on Class Day. It would be absurd for us to allow this trend to lead to fraternity pins and grips which is its natural outcome. Some of the jokes are very good but are hardly equal to the longer prose pieces, especially "Lampy's Little Lampoonlets." Mr. Dooley, on the other hand, is hardly as good as he has been lately,--not as thoroughly typical of his original. The verse is about what it usually is. Throughout the number is amusing and just the thing to give us a breathing space when our lady friends have asked more questions than we are able to bear. When Bessie, for instance, asks the why, when, and wherefore of each building, the long-suffering escort may well buy her a Class Day Lampoon and refer her to page 272, where she will find all such information ready made.