Interesting Lecture on the Idaho Industrial Institute

An interesting address on the founding and work of one of the pioneer educational institutions of the West, the Idaho Industrial Institute, was given last night in the Union by Rev. E. A. Paddock, its founder and president. His descriptions and the stereopticon views which accompanied the address pictured an institution very different from anything the East can produce, but one which is doing as great good in proportion to its size.

The institute was started to give the young men and women of the plains and mountains a chance to train hand and brain at the same time, while earning their way by work in the shops or on the farm. All of the 100 students in the school do manual work for five hours each day, the boys in the blacksmith shop, carpenter shop, or on the farm; the girls in the laundry, kitchen, or dairy. Last year the work of the students made the institute almost self-supporting. Like the George Junior Republic, after which it is modelled, it is a self-governing community, and only twice in its history has the faculty been obliged to decide in cases of discipline.

One of the most important aspects of the work of the Idaho Institute is its training of Mormon boys and girls. Situated in a district that is strongly Mormon in sentiment, the institute is gradually conquering the prejudice that was once strong against it, and is turning away from Mormonism a large proportion of the younger generation