1912 TEAM STARTS WELL.

Everything is to be gained from a good start, and from all appearances the Freshman football team has lost no time in getting under way. Freshman teams since 1903 have regularly been defeated by Groton in one of the early games of the season and it is pleasing to have this string of defeats broken. Not that it is particularly discouraging when a Freshman team loses its first game after it has only been formed a few days and is pitted against school teams much further advanced; it is much better, however, if they can win under these circumstances and we congratulate the 1912 team.

But this is only the first game of the season after all, and while it gives a certain amount of confidence in the team and the coaches, it furthermore should awaken the responsibilities of this new class to the fact that there is also a string of defeats to be broken in the games with the Yale freshmen. The class of 1907 was the last to win their game from Yale and it is high time this record was changed. Yale also made a good start yesterday by defeating Andover in a close game. The Freshman season is short and every day bears directly on the final result. Teams which are handicapped by men who occasionally fail to report are uniformly failures. Give the coaches the chance they desire, believe in the ability and the spirit of your own team, support it as often as possible by your presence on the field, and it is highly probable that your Freshman team will win victories for the class.