THE PRINCETON DEBATE.

The sixth annual Harvard-Princeton debate will take place in Sanders Theatre this evening at 8 o'clock. The question will be: "Resolved, That England's claims in her controversy with the Transvaal are justifiable." The question was selected by Harvard, and Princeton having the choice of sides, decided to defend the negative. The order of the Harvard speakers will be E. Mayer '00, R. C. Bruce '02 and W. Morse '00, for both first speeches and rebuttals.

Kirtland, who has become exhausted with the work of preparation, is too ill to speak tonight and his place will be taken by Mayer. This is the first time in the history of intercollegiate debating that an alternate has spoken in place of a regular member of a team. The order of the Princeton speakers will be Weston, Hill and Jones, and in the rebuttal, Hill, Jones and Weston. Each speaker will be given twelve minutes for his first speech and five for his rebuttal.

The judges will be Mr. Andrew P. Wiswell, Judge of the Supreme Court of Maine; Mr. Simeon Baldwin, Judge of the Supreme Court of Errors of Connecticut, and Professor Chas. H. Hull, of the Department of Economics of Cornell University. The Princeton alternates are S. B. Scott '00, J. B. Kelly '00 and B. H. Hunsberger '00.

An informal dinner will be given in the Colonial Club at 6 tonight to the presicing officer of the debate, the judges, to the three entertainers of the judges, Professors Ames, Baker and Taussig, to Princeton's representatives, Professor Bliss Perry and J. B. Kelly, and to Harvard's representatives, coach R. C. Ringwalt '95 and R. C. Bolling '00. The members of the teams will not attend the dinner. If the Princeton men remain in Boston over Saturday they will be further entertained by members of the University Debating Club.

Reserved seats for the debate can be obtained before 6 o'clock at Thurston's, Herrick's, Copley square, and the Hotel Touraine. After 6 they will be on sale at the door. Price fifty cents.

THE HARVARD SPEAKERS.

Wilbur Morse '00, of Philadelphia, prepared for College at the Central High School. In the fall of '94 he entered the University of Pennsylvania and became a member of the Philomathean Debating Society, which he represented in an interclub debate with the Zelosophic Society. The following fall he entered Harvard, and was on the '99 Freshman debating team which defeated Yale. Morse spent the winter of '96-'97 in Philadelphia doing newspaper work. In the fall of '97 he re-entered Harvard and made the University debating team which lost to Yale at New Haven in December. He was on the team which defeated Princeton last April, and was awarded the Coolidge Debating Prize for his work in the trials for that debate.

Harry Bevier Kirtland '01, of Plymouth, O., entered Harvard from the Hale School of Boston. Last year he was on the Sophomore debating team which defeated the Freshmen in the interclass debate and was one of the last fourteen men retained at the trials for the Princeton debate. At the trials for tonight's debate he was awarded the Coolidge Debating Prize. Kirtland is vice president of the Junior Wranglers.

Roscoe Conkling Bruce '02, of Indianapolis, prepared at Exeter where he was a member of the Golden Branch Debating Society, the oldest debating organization in America. While at Exeter he was an editor of the Literary Monthly and assistant business manager of the Exonian. He was the winner of the Pasteur Medal last year.

Elias Mayer '00, alternate, is from Chicago, where he prepared for College at the Lake View High School. During his Freshman year he was at Dartmouth, and there secured second prize in the Rollins Prize speaking contest. Last year he was one of the last fourteen men retained at the trials for the Harvard-Princeton debate.

J. Frank '00, of New York, and H. A. Yeomans '00, of Spokane, Washington, formed, with Mayer, the scrub team which has been holding practice debates with the regular team.

THE PRINCETON SPEAKERS.

Alfred Sewall Weston P. G., lives at West Mount Vernon, Me, and prepared for college at St. Johnsbury Academy, St. Johnsbury, Vt. He entered Princeton in 1895 and has since been active in debating. In his sophomore year he won second prize in the second competitive debate in Whig Hall. In his junior year he won the first prize in the junior debate, the junior extempore speaking contest in Whig Hall and was one of the speakers in the junior oratorical contest. During his senior year he won first prize in the first competitive debate and the French medal contest in Whig Hall and the class of 1876 prize debate on Washington's Birthday. He was a member of Princeton's debating teams last year against Yale and Harvard and won the special prize given in the Harvard preliminary debates, and first prize in the Baird disputation contest. He now holds a fellowship in the university.

Joseph Addison Jones, 1900, resides in Passaic, N. J. He prepared for college at Blair Hall, Blairstown, N. J., graduating from there in 1896 and entering Princeton in the fall of that year. While at Blair Hall he won a prize in oratory and was prominent in debates. In his freshman year he won first prize in the freshman and special, debates in Clio Hall, and represented his class in the class of 1876 prize debate. He won first prize in the sophomore oratorical contest and general prize debate in Clio Hall. Last year he represented Princeton in the Yale-Princeton debate. For four years he has represented his hall in the interhall debates, held preliminary to the intercollegiate debates. In his junior year he was a member of the team which represented Princeton in the debate with Yale at New Haven and a substitute for the Harvard debate last spring. In the preliminary trials for the debate tonight, he was awarded the Spencer Trask prize of $50. He was recently elected to deliver the ivy oration on the occasion of the commencement exercises of his class. For two years he has been a member of the intercollegiate debating committee.

Joseph Hall Hill, 1900, Edgewood Park, Pa., lives in Pittsburg and prepared at the Shadyside Academy of that city. He entered Princeton in 1896. In his junior year he won his class debate in Whig Hall and in 1898 and again this year he captured second prize in the first competitive debates. He represented his class last year in the 1876 prize debate on Washington's Birthday and was one of the debaters from Whig Hall in the interhall debate and entered the junior oratorical contest last year