REPORT OF SOCIAL UNION

Announcement of Proceedings of Past Year in Annual Report of President.

The thirty-seventh annual report of the Cambridge Social Union gives an account of its activities for the year ending October 31, 1907. President J. G. Thorp '79, in reporting for the Executive Committee, says that the membership for the year was 566, a figure almost identical with that of the previous year. An increase in the membership of women and girls, however, appears, with a corresponding decrease in the number of men and boys connected with the Union. The number of occupations represented is 92.

The Committee on the Library and Reading Room reports an addition of 175 volumes by gift and purchase, and an additional co-operation with the Cambridge Public Library, forming a travelling library of 75 volumes, exchanged every two months. The Union is now a station of the Public Library.

About thirty undergraduates as well as several members of the graduate schools are enrolled on the staff of the educational department, instruction being given in English, French, German, Classics, History, Music, Mathematics, Fine Arts, the Sciences and Business Training.

The Junior Department has had an unusual successful year under the leadership of Mr. G. T. Hamilton.

President Thorp in treating the recent addition to Brattle Hall shows in his report how the limited accommodation afforded the Boy's Club, the additional needs of the Cambridge Social Dramatic Club and the large attendances at the services held by the Christian Science Church all necessitated the enlargement of the building. These improvements were carried into effect and in addition the Cantabrigia Club has established regular quarters there for their club work.

The work of the Woman's and Sewing Clubs are both remarked upon and a legacy of $500 from the estate of Mr. Andrew S. Waite is acknowledged.