DEARTH OF ENGLISH COURSES.

The courses offered in the department of English literature for this half-year are notoriously meagre. In the eighteenth century two courses are open to the ordinary undergraduate, one dealing exclusively with the school of Pope, the other with the sentimental school. In the nineteenth century no courses whatever are at the disposal of the undergraduate, save one which treats of the English novel from its birth to the present day; this however, is "primarily for graduates." We wonder what has become of those excellent courses, English 8a and 8b, in which the romantic poets of the nineteenth century might be studied. It is true, English 28 and English 41 are open to undergraduates, but their field is so extensive that the merest glimpse of nineteenth century literature can be had.

Such a dearth as at present exists in the English department scarcely augurs well for the success of the new degree with distinction in history and literature. If a man wished to specialize in the nineteenth century he would find himself at a loss where to turn for material. We would suggest that more pronounced efforts be made to enrich with additional courses a period which has been so neglected this half-year.