FRESHMEN WON YALE DEBATE

Unanimous Decision Awarded by Judges in Contest Held Last Night.

NEW HAVEN, CONN., April 10, 1908.--By a unanimous decision of the judges, the Harvard Freshmen won the second annual debate with the Yale freshmen tonight.

The subject for debate was "Resolved, That a national divorce law is desirable," in the discussion of which the question of constitutionality was barred. The team which represented the University was composed of J. W. Finkel, B. S. Ulrich, and D. Haar, and was coached by A. H. Elder 1L.; and the Yale team was made up of M. A. Hall, C. I, Stix and L. T. Bates. W. W. Wynkoop, Yale '08, presided at the debate, and the judges were Professor George M. Dutcher of Wesleyan, Professor William Kirk of Brown, and Professor Horace Marvin of Princeton.

The decision of the judges was based on the consistency of Harvard's team work, the superior strength of their arguments, and the manner in which they broke down the case of the affirmative, especially on the point of the evils of the present system of divorce laws. L. T. Bates, of Yale, was pronounced the best speaker of the evening.

After the debate the Harvard team was banqueted by the Yale team.