CHELSEA SWEPT BY FLAMES

Greatest Fire Near Boston Since 1872.--Raged for Many Hours.

The worst conflagration which has occurred in Greater Boston for many years began yesterday morning about 11 o'clock at the westerly end of the city of Chelsea in a dump near the plant of the Boston Blacking Company on Summer street. Late last night the fire, fanned by the high northwest wind, had not only burned over an area of about half a mile wide and over two miles long in Chelsea, but had also spread rapidly in East Boston. One of the worst features of the fire was the explosion of the oil tanks of the Tidewater Oil Company and the Leonard & Ellis Oil Company, which are on the Chelsea River. The blazing oil started several small fires in East Boston, in addition to burning two large oil barges holding 5000 gallons each, and three fire engines.

In order to protect the household effects and property of the thousands of homeless people, the Chelsea militia was called out shortly after noon. Early in the course of the fire, help was sent for and men and apparatus came from Lynn, Cambridge, Everett, Revere, Winthrop, and other cities as far distant as Waltham.

It was estimated late last night that the loss would be in the neighborhood of $10,000,000. The fire seemed to be under control by midnight and unless there is a change of wind it is probable that it will burn itself out.