BASEBALL GAME WITH BATES

University Team Plays on Soldiers Field at 4.--Lanigan to Pitch.

The University baseball team will meet Bates this afternoon at 4 o'clock on Soldiers Field in the first game in Cambridge after the Southern trip. Lanigan will pitch his first game of the season this afternoon, and with Currier behind the bat should be effective.

Leonard's ankle will keep him out of the game this week, although it is possible that he may recover sufficiently to play against Holy Cross Saturday. Aronson's injury is rather serious and it will prevent his playing for some time, if not for the rest of the season. Kemble hurt his hand in the Georgetown game while sliding, and will not be in the line-up this afternoon. The outfield will be made up of Dana, Keefe, and Pounds. McCall will play at second, and Harvey in Leonard's place at third. The team as a whole demonstrated good batting ability on the Southern trip, and when the places become a little more settled a good fielding team should result.

Little is known of the Bates team, except that it appears to be rather strong at the bat. The game last year was cancelled because of rain, and the year before Harvard won, 4 to 0. Only four of last year's players are on this year's nine.

The batting orders: HARVARD.  BATES. McCall, 2b.  s.s., Keany Briggs, 1b.  2b., Wilder Lanigan, p.  r.f., Boothby Simons, s.s.  c., Stone Harvey, 3b.  3b., Jordan Dana, l.f.  l.f., Hooper Currier, c.  1b., Burnell Pounds, r.f.  c.f., Cobb Keefe, c.f.  p., Harriman or Phinney