CREW SHOWS IMPROVEMENT

University Crew Practice for Race Next Week.--Four Oars Formed.

The nearness of next Saturday's race with Cornell has been shown by the tactics adopted by the University crew during the past week. The practice has consisted principally of rowing short stretches at a high stroke and trying racing starts. The work on Tuesday was the only exception to this, for on that day the crew took a long row in the basin, going and returning in two stretches. On Monday the crew paddle to Brighton in easy stages, on Wednesday they rowed over a one-mile course in good time, and yesterday they again went down-stream. The rowing today will be of a light nature.

The crew's showing during the past few days has been encouraging on the whole, and the men have acquired better control of their slides. On the other hand, the boat has travelled poorly at times, and there seems to be some difficulty about steadying down after a racing start. There is still a tendency to clip the stroke and to slump at the finish.

The University second crew has been broken up into two coxless four-oars, Both of them show power and space well, though it is too early at present to tell how they will develop.

The orders of the crews follow:

University Crew--Stroke, Sargent; 7, Richardson; 6, E. Bacon; 5, Waid; 4, Lunt; 3, Severance; 2, Fish; bow, Faulkner; cox., Blagden.

University four-oar--Stroke, Morgan, 3, Fahnestock; 2, E. Cutler; bow, G. Bacon.

Second four-oar--Stroke, Reece; 3, Withington; 2, Lovering; bow, Marvin.