OUTLER IN UNIVERSITY BOAT

Replaced Fish in-Eight-Oared Shell.-University Four Shaken Up.

Harvard Crew Quarters, Red Top, Conn., June 16, 1908-E. C. Cutler '09, was tried at 2 in the University eight today in the place of S. W. Fish '08. He rowed there both morning and afternoon and seemed to fit into-the place fairly well, although the boat did not run as well as it did before Fish was declared ineligible. In all probability Cutler will stay at 2 permanently.

Cutler had been stroking the University four-oared crew and with both him and Morgan out of the boat today a whole new port side was necessary. In order to select the men for these two places the crew was sent down into Kimball's Cove this morning, and F. A. Reece '09, and G. G. Bacon '08, tried at stroke, and S. A. Fahnestock '08, R. S. Lovering '08, and Bacon at 2. Coach Wray superintended the work from the rail road embankment.

The work for all the crews was light today. In the morning on account of the rough water the University eight went a short distance near the shore, but in the afternoon the men covered about five miles accompanied by Coach Wray in his single. The stroke was kept down most of the time, except for one stretch. The shell did not appear to go as badly as might be expected, and it is hoped that within a few days the crew will be rowing well together again. Of course Cutler is considerably lighter than Fish and is not his equal in either strength or endurance.

In the afternoon the University four went out with Reece at stroke and Bacon at 2. The shell was taken downstream about two miles and a half in long stretches at a slow stroke in order to help shake the crew together. Both Freshman crews went short distances in the morning, but in the afternoon the eight covered about four miles at a fairly good speed in short stretches. The Freshman four went downstream about two miles and returned.

J. F. Perkins '99, and R. F. Herrick '90 came to the quarters today.