UNION LECTURE ON MEDICINE

Dean H. A. Christian of Medical School to Describe Profession at 8.

Dr. H. A. Christian, A.M. '03. Dean of the Medical School and Hersey professor of the theory and practice of physic, will deliver a lecture on "Medicine as a Profession" in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock. The talk will be illustrated by stereopticon views. This is the first of a series of lectures instituted by the Governing Board of the Union with the general title "Lectures on the Professions," with the object of setting forth to undergraduates the character of the principal professions. The lecture will be open to members of the Union only.

Dean Christian was elected dean of the Medical School on October 12 by the Corporation and his election was confirmed by the Board of Overseers two days later. Because of the remarkable opportunities offered by the splendid equipment of the new school the choice was awaited with great interest. A man of great administrative ability was needed, who had a thorough training in medicine. Dr. Christian had already established an excellent record of work in the Boston hospitals. He is an unusually young man for the position of head of the Medical School. Born in Lynchburg, Va., in 1876, he entered Randolph Macon at the age of fifteen, being graduated in 1895 with the degrees of A.B. and A.M. For five years he studied at Johns Hopkins and pursued graduate studies at the Harvard Medical School for three more years, at the end of which he received the degree of Master of Arts for pathological studies carried on at the Boston City Hospital.

Dr. Christian has a reputation throughout the country as a fruitful investigator in the fields of pathology and clinical medicine; he served in 1906 as chairman of the pathological and physiological section of the American Medical Association. He is a member of a large number of medical societies, including the American Association of Pathologists and Bacteriologists, the American Medical Association, the Association of American Physicians, and the Massachusetts Medical Society, and is a member of the clinical consulting staff of the council on pharmacy and chemistry of the American Medical Association. He has published many papers on medical subjects, which have appeared from time to time in the various medical journals in America and Germany.