LAVAL DEFEATED IN HOCKEY

University Hockey Team Defeated Canadians in Close Game, 3 to 0.

The University hockey team defeated Laval University of Canada yesterday afternoon in the Stadium by the score of 3 to 0. The game was roughly played and the teams seemed evenly matched in the first half, no goals being scored. The well-organized team-play of the University forwards far excelled the fast individual work of Laval who showed no concentrated attack.

Laval's defence was weak and allowed the University forwards to shoot time and again after coming down the rink together. Several penalties were inflicted for forward passing and off-side play, and three men were sent off the rink for roughness.

The Canadians displayed fast individual work at the start and had the puck in Harvard's territory for several minutes. But the University forwards soon got together and came down the ice with a rush, Horn blower scoring just as the whistle blew for off-side play. The goal was not allowed and the puck went to the other end of the rink. The play became rougher and Champaigne was ruled off. Several good chances to score were missed by the University forwards, whose shots were wild. The half ended without a score, though the University team lost five chances during the period.

Playing in the first part of the second half was in Laval's territory, and because of consistent covering by the University forwards the rougher work of their men was unavailing. After R. Joron had been ruled off for roughness, a scrimmage took place in front of their goal and Gardner made the first score. The University team braced and after following out an unsuccessful shot Hicks passed to Hornblower who scored from the side-boards. The Laval forwards resorted to erratic tactics but the superior team-play of the University forwards made their attempts to score unavailing. After several shots had failed, the puck was carried the length of the ice, and Morgan made the last score before time was called.

The summary follows: HARVARD.  LAVAL. Gardner, l.e.  r.e., Lafond Hicks, l.e.  r.e., R. Joron Morgan, r.e.  l.e., Dostaler Hornblower, r.e.  l.e., Champaigne Ford, c.p.  c.p., Lajoie Willetts, p.  p., L. Joron Washburn, g.  g., Coutu

Score--Harvard, 3; Laval, 0. Goals-- Gardner, Hornblower, Morgan. Referee --C. J. Macmillan 3G. Timekeeper--R. Havdock '10. Time--20 minute halves. Goal umpires--Papineau, C. W. Short '08.