TWO SIDES TO CAPTAINS WARNING.

It is unfortunate for the cause of athletics whenever a man is prevented from taking part in intercollegiate sport by scholastic difficulties. It implies that a candidate for a University team is unable to do his academic work and his athletics at the same time, and his courses suffer. Were this the case there would be no athletics. The statement of the four major captains on another page, warning their men of probation and other evils, indicates not only a keen interest in the success of their teams but that they have a proper sense of the situation from the standpoint of the University. They propose that their men shall do their work carefully and in good season and thus avoid any possible trouble. The CRIMSON believes there is more in their statement than mere selfishness their particular teams. There is no question but that the men who are in charge of athletics in the University today are becoming more alive to the responsibilities which athletics must bear as an important part of undergraduate life and an improvement in the conduct of these affairs has been well begun.