THE NEW PRESIDENT.

President Lowell has outlined in his inaugural address three great policies to the accomplishment of which his administration is to be chiefly devoted: the adjustment of the elective system for the highest development of the individual student; the achievement of more harmonious relations between the College and the professional schools; and the restoration of class unity by a change in the social conditions of Freshman year. They are important questions, both to Harvard and to the cause of education throughout the country,--problems not to be solved in a day or a year, but worthy of a lifetime of earnest labor.

It is forty years this month since President Eliot faced a task like that which now confronts President Lowell. In those forty years the college of local fame has expanded into the university whose name and influence are known to all the world. The problems of the large institution are different from those of the small college, but we are confident that President Lowell will reach their solution as wisely and as certainly as his great predecessor overcame the obstacles of the last administration.