Half-Courses by Prof. Kuehnemann

Professor Kuehnemann will give the Faust course (Comparative Literature 8) during the second half-year. It will be a combination of comparative and interpretative discussion.

The introduction will treat of the four great authors, Homer, Dante, Shakespeare, and Goethe and their relations to the "World Literature." Then the legend of Faust will be discussed, beginning with its fore-runners, the old Christian and the medieval legends, and Calderon's "Wonder-working Magician." Some time is to be devoted to the medieval poems and the middle low German dramas. The next chapters will treat of the historical Faust and the popular traditions of the 16th and 17th centuries in international literature. Then will follow a discussion of Marlow's Dr. Faustus and the development of the Faust traditions in Germany from the time of the so-called English comedians down to the folk-dramas of Faust.

The interpretative discussion of both parts of Goethe's Faust from the artistic rather than the philosophical point of view will close the course, unless time remains for a short treatment of more modern interpretations of the Faust theme in such works as Byron's "Manfred," Ibsen's "Brand," Hauptmann's "Versunkene Glocke" and Browning's "Paracelsus." Thus throughout the course the comparative point of view will be made fully as prominent as the interpretative discussion of Goethe's "Faust." The course will be conducted in German.

Professor Kuehnemann will also give during the second half-year, German 19b, a course dealing with contemporary German drama. The course is intended to give a comprehensive view of the intellectual life of Germany during the last thirty years. The lectures will discuss the European writers that have been instrumental in shaping modern. German thought, Tolstoi, Zola, Ibsen. Special attention will be paid to Nietzsche and Maeterlinck. The course is open to the public. The first lecture will be given on Saturday, February 20, at 11 A. M., in Emerson J.