WEATHER HANDICAPS CREW

Unfavorable Conditions Hinder Development of University Eight.

The bad weather and rough water of the past week considerably handicapped all the crews rowing from the University and Weld boathouses. On Thursday all the crews were confined to the machines. Wednesday and Friday, however, were about the best days for rowing so far this season. On Tuesday Hooper was given a try-out at No. 5 in the University crew, owing to the sickness of L. Withington, who was unable to row on account of a slight poisoning in the back of his hand. On Wednesday P. Withington went in at No. 5 and Hooper returned to No. 6 in the second crew. On Friday L. Withington was able to take his place again. During the week Coach Wray laid special stress on the recovery, and on Friday this seemed to be in great part attained. During the long row far down into the basin and back, the recovery was good, the boat seemed very light, and glided well between strokes. The second crew did not have much chance to develop during the week, as the order was repeatedly broken up by sickness and the absence of the men who were tried on the University crew. King has coxswained the University crew in the temporary absence of Blagden, and Fales has gone out with the second boat.

The orders:

University crew--Stroke, Sargent; 7, Waid; 6, R. Cutler; 5, L. Withington; 4, Bacon; 3, Faulkner; 2, Lunt; bow, E. Cutler; cox., King.

Second crew--Stroke, Richardson; 7, P. Withington; 6, Hooper; 5, Smith; 4, Loring; 3, Whitney; 2, Forster; bow, Ellis; cox., Fales.