FINANCIAL STATEMENT

Explanation of Mr. Thompson's Report.--Large Surplus in 1907-08.

The annual financial statement of the Graduate Treasurer of the Athletic Association, published in the adjoining column, shows numerous variations from the table of the preceding year which is published for purposes of comparison. The first item, "Care of Buildings and Grounds," varies little from year to year. Expenses on the general account are larger because of certain increases in salary. Permanent improvements include chiefly a baseball diamond in the southwest corner of Soldiers Field and a railway for hauling up the floats and runways at both the Newell and Weld boathouses.

Though in the baseball account both receipts and expenses are slightly larger, the sport keeps its accustomed steadiness. The additional expense is due to four items: an increase in supplies including a pitching machine; greater cost of travelling occasioned by a trip to Hanover, N. H.; a third game with Yale in New York; and greater outlay for coaching.

The University boat races cost more than last year, principally on account of the trip to Annapolis. The subscriptions, however, were the best since 1905. Deducting the nominal income from locker rentals and the expenses charged to the University and Freshman crews, the cost of rowing was $4,576.76.

Though the receipts of the track team were greater than last year, there was still a deficit in the department, due to the cost of maintaining a training table for the cross-country team and of transporting 38 men to Philadelphia for the intercollegiate meet.

The increase of nearly $20,000 in the receipts from University football is the result of the Yale game having been played in Cambridge, where the seating capacity is greater than at New Haven. The expenses are approximately $4,000 less than last year and over $9,000 less than two years ago, when the high-water mark of extravagance was reached. The reform has come in training table bills, supplies, trainers' and coaches' salaries, and travelling expense.

The minor sports made an advance over last year in an effort toward self-support, the total deficit being $300 less. On the other hand, subscriptions for six Freshman sports were very much poorer than for the same sports a year ago. The great decrease in the expenses of the Freshman crew may be attributed to a more equitable apportionment of the total New London expense, of which the Freshmen had been paying more than their share.