VISITING TEAMS

We are glad to hear that the Student Council has taken on itself the responsibility of entertaining visiting teams. Last year a committee for this purpose was appointed by the Athletic Committee, but it has apparently sunk into oblivion, and some permanent body is needed to take its place. We cannot overestimate the importance of fulfilling this duty carefully. Too often have visiting teams left Cambridge feeling that Harvard was distinctly unfriendly, simply because an overworked manager was the only one supposed to look out for them, and he had too many other important things to do. With no one to extend the ordinary civilities, many teams made their way as best they could from their way as best they could from their station to their hotel and Soldiers Field, and on their departure probably made most unfavorable comparisons between Harvard and other universities. We hope that such cases were the exception rather than the rule, but they undoubtedly occurred quite frequently.

Although we do not believe in "gushing" over our visitors, we do believe in treating them with the greatest possible courtesy. Some arrangements should be made for meeting them at their train, showing them around Cambridge, possibly entertaining them at the Varsity Club, and doing everything possible to make their visit pleasant.