READING BY JOHN K. BANGS.

Writer of Humorous Tales to Read from His Own Works in Union at 8.

Mr. John Kendrick Bangs, well-known as a writer of humorous tales, will give a reading from his own works in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock. Last year Mr. Bangs was enthusiastically received in the Union at a lecture he gave on "Salubrities I Have Met." The reading will be open to members of the Union only.

Mr. Bangs studied at Columbia University, from which he graduated in 1883. He studied law there for one year after graduation, but never practiced. In 1884 he accepted the position of associate editor of "Life," which he held for four years, only leaving to assume the position of editor-in-chief of "The Drawer." In the capacity of editor he has also been connected with "Harper's Magazine," "Literature," "Harper's Weekly," "The Metropolitan Magazine," and "Puck."

As soon as he was out of college Mr. Bangs took up the career of an author, and has produced many humorous books as well as several farces and musical comedies. Among his best known works might be mentioned "New Waggings of Old Tales," "Coffee and Repartee," "A House Boat on the Styx," "The Pursuit of the House Boat," "Ghosts I have Met," and many others of the same character.