PRINCETON WON AT HOCKEY

University Team Defeated 3 to 0 in New York Saturday.--Defence Weak.

The University hockey team was defeated by Princeton Saturday evening at the St. Nicholas Rink, New York, by the score of 3 to 0. This practically means the loss of the intercollegiate championship for Harvard. If Yale defeats Princeton and Harvard can win from Yale, a three-cornered tie for first place in the league will result.

The result of the game on Saturday was chiefly due to unexpected weakness in the University defence and unexpected strength in the same department of the Princeton team. The Princeton forwards were unusually fast, but, had the Harvard defence played in Vaccordance with the steady improvement it had shown up to Saturday, there would have been no difficulty in stopping the opposing forwards. Foster at point was slow and failed to body-check effectively, so that several times one man carried the puck within five yards of the goal before shooting. In rushing the puck out of the corners Fosters was much slower than Huntington and failed to carry the puck up the rink as he has done in the previous games. Huntington at point played a steady, hard game, and was the mainstay of the defence. The forward line played an aggressive game throughout, but was most effectively prevented from scoring by the excellent body-checking of all three of the Princeton backs, who never followed the puck but merely strove to put the opposing forwards out of the play. Then, too, the unusual ability of Peacock, the Princeton goal, turned aside at least three excellent shots in the second half. As a final summing up of the game it may be said that the forwards were unable to cope with Princeton's smashing defence, and that the Harvard defence was inefficient against the individual work of the Princeton forwards.

Play in the First Half.

The first half was characterized by poor defensive work on the part of the University team, the puck remaining in Harvard territory most of the time. The quick work of Chadwick at goal alone prevented more scoring in this period. Five minutes before the end of the half, Angell scored for Princeton from in front of the cage on a pass from Read. At this point Duncan replaced Gardner at right centre, the latter being compelled to leave the game on account of cramps. From now till the end of the half the University forwards braced and carried the puck into Princeton territory, but to no avail. The half ended with the score 1 to 0 in faver of Princeton.

Second Half of the Game.

The second half was most bitterly fought on both sides. Time and again Hicks and Duncan got free only to be checked by Read and Blair almost simultaneously. Leslie played by far the best game seen at left end this year, often carrying the puck the length of the boards. Throughout this half the puck was wholly around the Princeton goal, except three or four times when single Princeton players got away toward the Harvard goal. Two of three attempts resulted in scores for Princeton. Five seconds before the end of the game McKinney received the puck in the centre of the rink and carried it alone for the final score, Chadwick coming out too late to prevent the shot.

The summary follows: HARVARD.  PRINCETON. Leslie, Cutler, l.e.  r.e., McKinney Hicks, l.c.  r.c., Sawyer Gardner, Duncan, r.c.  l.c., Angell Hornblower, r.e.  l.e., Kay Foster, Blackall, c.p.  c.p., Read Huntington, p.  p., Blair Chadwick, g.  g., Peacock

Score--Princeton, 3; Harvard, 0. Goals--Angell, Read, McKinney. Referee--W. Russell, Hockey Club of New York. Assistant referees--E. Dufresne, Wanderers Hockey Club; O. Cleghorne, Wanderers Hockey Club. Goal-umpires--J. Smeaton and R. van Bermuth. Time-keeper--W. J. Croker, Wanderers Hockey Club. Time--20-minute halves.

Standing of Intercollegiate League.

The standing of the teams in the intercollegiate hockey league at present is as follows:   Played  Won  Lost  Percent. Princeton,  3  3  0  1.000 Harvard,  3  2  1  .666 Cornell,  2  0  2  .000 Columbia,  1  0  1  .000 Dartmouth,  1  0  1  .000 Yale,  0  0  0  .000

Standing of Intercollegiate League.