THE MILITIA.

In another column is printed a call for recruits from the Naval Brigade--one of those outside activities which are constantly canvassing the University for men. The question of the advisability of joining the militia has been brought before us by the appeals of the increasing number of these organizations. Undoubtedly the militia is a necessity, and as a public institution deserves support. It offers, moreover, valuable military training, which may well form a part of every citizen's education.

On the other hand, a great many undergraduates who join the militia do so without understanding the whole situation, and after they have once enlisted it is impossible for them to resign. For this reason any undergraduate who considers enlisting should give the matter due consideration before committing himself. The expense entailed by membership is in some cases considerable, and should be clearly ascertained before enlisting. The greatest drawback, however, is the amount of time required and the exacting character of the engagements. Therefore, though men who can spare the time from their studies and other College activities, may find the militia valuable, for those who already have, or are likely to have before their enlistment expires, as many duties as they can well attend to, the militia will probably become an unnecessary burden.