Work of Social Service Committee

The Social Service Committee, in charge of the philanthropic activities of Phillips Brooks House, has undertaken a more elaborate scheme of operations this year than in any preceding year. 225 students from various departments of the University are at present engaged in boys' club work, teaching, juvenile court work, and conducting home libraries at the different charitable institutions in Cambridge and Boston. In addition to this, men are continually sent out to speak informally under the auspices of churches Y. M. C. A. societies, and religious organizations of varying types. In this capacity 15 men have already served the committee this year. Entertainment troupes composed entirely of students are also sent out to charitable institutions in the vicinity, twelve such troupes having given entertainments during the fall.

In the text-book library, the Social Service Committee is rendering an important service to many students in the University. Here books gathered in the semi-annual clothing and book collection are kept, and loaned without charge to students who, in some cases, are not able to purchase their own. The use to which the library is put is shown by the fact that 235 books have been borrowed thus far this year.

This, in brief form, is a statement of what the Social Service Committee is trying to do. The interest that has been displayed in the work this year has not been aroused all at once, but is the result of persistent effort for several years past.

There are at all times more applications for workers than there are men to fill them. The opportunity for even greater expansion, therefore, is apparent. Men who are willing to undertake social service work are requested to call at Phillips Brooks House any week-day morning between 9 and 12 o'clock.