CREW DEVELOPING RAPIDLY

Smoothness Evident in Eight's Rowing.--Four Veterans in First Boat.

Yesterday afternoon completed the first half-week of fall rowing for the University crew. A change was made yesterday in the order of the University eight when Stratton, who has been rowing 6 in the second crew replaced Lincoln at 4 in the University eight. Lincoln went in at 6 in Stratton's place in the second boat. Of these two men who have been tried at 4, Stratton seems to have made the most satisfactory showing.

Since the rowing started last Wednesday the three eights have indulged in only short work-outs up-stream with a view to smoothing out the almost necessary roughness of the first few days in a new order. Coach Wray has laid special stress on the slide-work of the men individually and as an eight. It is possible that longer paddles down-stream will be given the crews next week with the probable return of Goodale on Monday. During Goodale's absence from his intended seat at stroke, Newton has taken his place. When Goodale returns Newton will probably be put back at 4, replacing Stratton.

Although new to the starboard side of the boat, Captain Cutler is developing rapidly at 7, though his finish is as yet slightly awkward. Cutler is naturally a very adaptable oarsman and should be able to prove as valuable rowing some starboard oar as he has on the port side of the boat. Newton, Strong, and Metcalf, the other three veterans, have so far found no trouble in regaining last year's form, and the new men in the boat have done well.

Some minor changes have occurred in the orders of the second and third crews during the past three days. Both crews have shown consistent improvement and attained a more even keel with each day's rowing. In the next few weeks these eights should develop so as to be able to give the University crew a good try-out in the three and one-half mile handicap race which will end the season.

The orders:

University crew-Stroke, Newton; 7, Cutler; 6, Strong; 5, Metcalf; 4, Stratton; 3, Hooper; 2, Balch; bow, Meyer; cox., C. Abeles:

Second eight-Stroke, S. O. Richardson; 7, Nelson; 6, Lincoln; 5, Peabody; 4, Parker; 3, Warren; 2, Sullivan; bow, Wiggins; cox., Voorhees.

Third crew-Stroke, Davis; 7, Anderson; 6, Weston; 5. Deane; 4. Hoar; 3. Merger; 2. Skillio bow, G.C. Culter; cox, A. Aheles.