"THE PROBLEM IN POLITICS"

Mr. Steffens to Give First of Lectures on "The Social Problem" Today.

Mr. Lincoln Steffens will deliver a lecture on "The Problem in Politics" in Emerson J this afternoon at 4.30 o'clock. The public is cordially invited. Mr. Steffens is a well-known magazine editor and contributor who at present is writing a series of articles in Everybody's Magazine on "The Power of Money and Control of Credit."

This is the first of a series of lectures on "The Social Problem and its Remedies" which will be given by different lecturers during the winter.

Among the other lecturers will be Mrs. Florence Kelley, secretary of the National Consumers' League, Judge Benjamin Barr Lindsay, the originator of the Juvenile court system, Dr. Richard Clarke Cabot '89, counsellor of the Harvard Medical Alumni Association, Louis Brandeis L.'77, counsel in the Pinchot-Ballinger controversy, John Graham Brooks t.'75, lecturer on Economics, and President of the American Social Science Association, James MacKaye s.'95, chemist and author, James J. Hill, capitalist, and former president of the Great Northern Railroad system, Senator R. M. LaFollette of Wisconsin, prominent in encouraging the election of United States senators by direct vote, Gifford Pinchot, head of the movement for federal conservation and ex-chairman of the Forestry Commission, Henry George, Jr., congressman and author of several works on political economy, Hutchins Hapgood '92, writer on political topics, Brand Whitlock, socialist mayor of Toledo, Ohio, Charles Edward Russell, editorial writer for the Hearst papers, and Bishop Arthur Llewellyn Williams of Nebraska.

The series is under the auspices of a committee composed of the following members of the Faculty: Dean Briggs, Professors C. A. Adams, G. P. Baker, H. E. Clifford, H. N. Davis, E. F. Gay, A. B. Hart, L. J. Johnson, F. L. Kennedy, H. W. Morse. G. H. Parker, R. B. Perry, Josiah Royce, W. Z. Ripley, G. Santayana, F. W. Taussig, and Professor T. Smith of the Medical School.