A SITUATION IN ENGLISH A.

A communication printed today in another column calls to our attention a singular situation in which Freshmen find themselves who have obtained a high grade in English A at the mid-year examinations. That is, they are relieved from the prescribed work in the second half-year, but if they wish to complete the course the usual fee for an additional half-course is charged. This certainly seems like "putting a premium on mediocrity." As a result of the last examinations 99 men were relieved from prescription, and of that number 60 paid the additional $10.00 and stayed in the course. These figures show that a great majority of the men wish to continue their training and it naturally seems a hardship to them to have to pay an additional fee as a result of doing good work.

The attitude of the Faculty on the other hand, is quite justifiable. The requirement for the degree of A.B. is 16 courses and a suitable training in English, whether obtained by anticipating English A, by taking it as a whole course, or by taking it until relieved at the mid-year examinations. Thus it is easily seen that when a man has attained his high grade at the mid-years, he may be considered to have received suitable training in English, and an additional fee is charged for additional instruction. He is then in the same category as a man who has anticipated English A, for whom only four courses are included under the regular tuition fee.

Both of the positions outlined above are perfectly tenable, and the question resolves itself into which is the fairer and more advantageous. We believe that the standard of English composition demanded of the undergraduates is much too low, and that any suitable means to raise it should be adopted. The case in hand furnishes an opportunity in this direction. If it is decided, however, to charge the additional $10.00 for continuance in the course after a student is relieved from prescription, it seems only fair that the additional receipts be turned back into the course, so providing better instruction in this, the most fundamental of all subjects.