THE FRESHMAN DINNER.

Reports of the Freshman class dinner on Thursday evening indicate that 1913 has started its career in the way which was the fashion five or six years ago. Hazing and class rushes have gone; uproarious Freshman dinners are still with us.

Those irresponsible, foolish members of 1913, who by their unseemly behavior brought shame on their class and their College, have spoiled a good record carefully established by preceding classes. They have made of no avail the labors of their class officers and committees, for a class dinner which has to be stopped by the police is far worse than none at all. The failure of 1913 to hold an orderly dinner is a strong argument for the ending of the Freshman dinner custom.

Yet it is not possible that the good sense of this or of any other class can approve drunken behavior in a public place. Such conduct is almost always confined, to a small number, yet the blame falls on the class as a whole. By the carelessness of a few members, the class, and especially the officers who showed themselves incapable of exercising control, have incurred the displeasure of the University.