ADVANCE MADE IN COACHING SYSTEM.

Harvard has long been criticized by its friends and censors alike for its lack of any permanent or continuous coaching policy in the major sports. For years its policy in each sport, as well as the choice of the coach, has practically rested in the hands of the captain, and so changed with each new season. However able the captain, he is always new to his position, and naturally can not be expected to have the perspective and experience which should be exercised in determining the coaching policy, which is therefore always unsettled. This situation has been relieved with considerable success in the cases of rowing and football through the services of the graduate advisory committees, and now we learn that the same system is to be applied to baseball and track. Graduate committees including some of the severest critics of the coaching systems in seasons past, as well as a number of track and baseball captains of former years, are now being chosen by the captains and coaches in these sports.

By enlisting the active co-operation of these men, the teams will not only receive the interested and constructive criticism of men whose experience renders their criticism valuable, but will have intimately associated groups of men from which to draw additional field coaches. And, furthermore, the inspiration to the teams growing from the feeling that there is a keenly interested group of graduates watching their development and performance is a factor not to be neglected. These committees will, moreover, insure some permanence in the coaching policy and will carry over the work from year to year, so that each new captain will find some settled principles upon which to regulate his season's policy. This system should provide against many bad errors of judgment, and will, we believe, bring good results.