AN UNFAIR CRITICISM.

It must be granted that the great prominence given to athletics in universities today in some degree overshadows the scholastic and artistic interests, not only at Harvard, but at most of the educational institutions of our country. If these appearances were the true reflection of the actual state of affairs, they would indeed be deplorable, but we believe them deceptive and exaggerated. This apparently undue prominence of athletics in the College is due mainly to two causes-the attitude of the outside press, catering to the popular worship of physical prowess, and the fact that men of literary or artistic genius do not often become well known until they have reached maturity.

Of immediate interest in this connection and in pleasing contrast to the ever present athletic report, is the series of articles on Harvard men prominent in music, arts, and letters published in the Harvard Graduates Magazine. In these five articles on Harvard artists, poets, editors, composers, and dramatists appear the names of many of the foremost men in each of these branches of intellectual activity. The series is a quiet refutation of the current charges of backwardness in these fields. Does it not seem that the fault lies rather with the public and the press, than with the University itself?