Political Science Prizes Offered

The Committee on Prizes in Political Science calls attention to the following three annual prizes in that field:

One of $100, the gift of Charles Sumner '30, is offered for the best dissertation on a subject connected with the topic of universal peace and the methods by which war may be permanently superseded. This prize is open to any student of the University in any of its departments, but students cannot hope to be successful who have not some knowledge of international law.

A prize of $40, from a fund established by James Gordon Bennett, of New York, is offered for the best essay in English prose on some subject of American governmental domestic or foreign policy of contemporaneous interest. This prize is open only to members of the Senior class of Harvard College and to special students in their third or fourth year who have taken courses in Political Science and English Literature. Essays submitted for the degree with distinction in the Division of History and Political Science may be offered for this prize.

A prize of $150, the gift of Robert Noxan Toppan '58, of Cambridge, is offered for the best essay of sufficient merit, on a subject in Political Science. The prize is open for competition to all students of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or of any of the professional schools who have received an academic degree, and to all graduates of Harvard College of not more than three years' standing. Theses submitted for the degree of Ph.D. in the Division of History and Political Science may be considered for this prize.

The subjects for prize essays may be chosen by each competitor for himself, within the special limitations of each prize, but must be submitted for approval to the Secretary of the Committee on Prizes in Political Science. No essay may contain more than 100,000 words; they must be handed in not later than May 1.