SHORT VACATION FOR WESTERNERS.

Harvard is an eastern University. The western representation is proportionately small-unfortunately so-and it is a poor encouragement to western students when their vacation privileges are restricted out of all proportion to those of men living in this locality. At Christmas time it is customary to make some allowance by which men of the middle west are able to reach home on the first day of vacation. But at the Easter recess residents of St. Louis, Cleveland, and Chicago and men from points farther west, must arrive home 20, or more, hours late for their all too brief rest from College duties.

Doubtless the authorities feel justified in demanding strict attendance to the end, for according to the Catalogue, the vacation does not properly begin until Monday, and by that time all except the far-westerners will be at home. As a matter of fact no one can logically deny that the work of this term ends tomorrow, and it is grossly unfair to allow the Massachusetts men to begin their enjoyment at that time, while the rest are still in the throes of sleeping car inconveniences.

There are many good reasons why the strict registration requirements should be maintained, but it should, nevertheless, be borne in mind that this necessitates an equal loss of time to residents of the west at the end of vacation; and when the recess has been thus curtailed at both ends, the time spent at home is, for many, not worth the journey.