IMPORTANCE OF FIRST VOTE

Described by Pres. Eliot at New Voters' Festival.--Other Speakers.

At the new voters' festival held in Faneuil Hall yesterday afternoon, President Eliot was the presiding officer, and the speakers were Mayor Brand Whitlock of Toledo, O., Judge M. J. Murray, and Judge Francis C. Lowell '76. Before introducing the first speaker, President Eliot explained the purposes of the festival.

The meeting is held in celebration of the first vote that a citizen casts. This first act of citizenship should inspire us with a civic pride, should make us feel with St. Paul of Tarsus, that we are "citizens of no mean city." The power of suffrage is not a right of all mankind; it is a privilege gained for us by eight generations of men who sacrificed and toiled for just and equal laws that the citizen might have freedom to develop his powers, that our government might be a true democracy. We, their descendants and heirs, ought to feel responsibility for the suffrage thus obtained.

Suffrage is a form of education; many men think that education comprises merely school and college life; in reality, this is wholly preparatory, for education continues during a man's business and professional life in the development of his personal power. Suffrage, moreover, leads to greater ideals, for the voter must took forward to doing for coming generations what eight generations have done for him; he must realize that he is sowing the seeds of future prosperity or future poverty, of domestic joy or suffering.

Mayor Whitlock of Toledo was then introduced by President Eliot to speak on "Citizenship." No man should commit himself irrevocably to any political party; organization in politics is necessary, to be sure, and no one should keep aloof from them out of conceit; but every voter should be master of himself and decide for himself. What counts is development of character; if we look to this, we shall help in that movement of the people which is the most inspiring on earth today.

President Eliot then spoke of the ballot now in use. It is so long that it is impossible for any voter to know all candidates and to vote with judgment and discrimination. The best movement now before the country is that instituted by the Short Ballot League.

He then introduced Judge M. j. Murray who spoke on the importance of the first vote, which marks the opening of a man's career in active life, and should be cast only after careful thought and reading, and after a discussion of the vital question with neighbors and all who may be deeply interested.

President Eliot spoke of the public weal, and introduced the last speaker, Judge F. C. Lowell '76, who fully explained the "Freeman's Oath," and then administered it to those who desired.