New Degree with Distinction

At a Faculty meeting held yesterday afternoon, it was voted to establish a degree with distinction in philosophy and economics which is intended to represent special attainment in the study of social problems, both theoretical and practical.

The requirements for the degree are as follows: as early as possible in his College career, and not later than November 1 of his final year, the candidate must present a plan of study to the chairman of the committee on degrees of distinction in philosophy and economics. This plan must comprise at least eight courses, of which at least two must be in philosophy, social ethics, and economics, respectively. Of these courses at least one in each of these groups, and at least six in all, must be of the grade not open to Freshmen.

Not later than May 1 of his final year the candidate must submit a thesis on some topic in social theory or practice, the subject of which must have been approved by the committee. At some date after May 1 of the same year he will be examined on the field covered by the courses he offered in his plan of study.