Improvement in University Crew

Another change was made in the order of the University crew yesterday when Strong went in at 6 in place of Newton. Sargent went into the four, Newton taking his place at 2. The change was due to Strong's good work at 2 in the winning four on Wednesday. His work in the University eight yesterday was a great improvement over former occasions when he has been tried out at 6, and it is likely that this change will be a permanent one. The eight rowed up to the Watertown Arsenal and back in short stretches, the work of the crew being the best which has been shown during the experimental changes of this week. Although the boat had a tendency to check at the catch on account of the men jabbing their oars into the water with their leg drive applied too suddenly, the body swing was much better and the men were well together. The two fours which will be taken to New London will be definitely picked today.

The work of the Freshman eight yesterday was encouraging. Meyer, who was shifted from bow to 7 in the latter part of last week, passes the stroke back from Goodale better than Moffat did, and the changes in the bow of the boat work for the better. Although Cutler has poor control of his oar at 3 and Stratton at 6 is inclined to fall over on the catch, in yesterday's short work-out the boat spaced well and did not pound as much as it has done formerly on the finish.

The launch John Harvard, accompanied by the engineer, Freeman Moshier, left for the quarters at New London early Wednesday morning.

The orders:

University crew.--Stroke, Cutler; 7, Bacon; 6, Strong; 5, Waid; 4, Withington; 3, Metcalf; 2, Newton; bow, Whitney; cox., King.

Freshman crew.--Stroke, Goodale; 7, Meyer; 6, Stratton; 5, Keays; 4, Lincoln; 2, Davis; bow, Parker; cox., Abeles.