Changes Made in University Four

Harvard Crew Quarters, Red Top, New London, Conn., June 19, 1910.--Yesterday morning the University eight had very light work, paddling down-stream to Cow Point, a mile below Red Top, in light stretches. Coach Wray followed in a single and paid special attention to the individual work of the men. It was expected that a time trial would be held in the afternoon, but this was abandoned because Bacon was slightly indisposed. Contrary to all expectations, a further change was made in the order of the University four. Coach Wray had said that the bow positions of the four were settled but Balch was shifted from bow to 3 and was replaced by Loring from the second four. Forster at stroke and Sargent at 2 kept their positions. This order was tried out in the afternoon and worked better than any other that has been tried so far. It is the same in which the four rowed in the trial race against the second last Thursday.

The Freshman eight was sent out during the morning and covered about three miles in short stretches and in the after-noon covered the two miles course in 11 minutes and 10 seconds. Although this time is only fair under the good conditions that prevailed, the boat travelled along in good shape. The order was not changed. The Freshman four was also given hard work during the morning. It covered a stretch of a half-mile in 2 minutes and 42 seconds, very good time for a four.

Today both the University and Freshman squads were allowed a dip in the water at Ocean Beach. They then returned to the Pequot Casino in New London and proceded back to Red Top. The Yale squads took a sail today on W. Ferguson's yacht "Christabel." The red and blue flags marking the lanes for the crews in the four-mile race were tied out by the chairman of the regatta committee.