Cornell Defeated Yale, 3 to 0

The Cornell baseball team defeated Yale last Saturday afternoon at New Haven by the score of 3 to 0. Goodwillie, whom the University team forced to retire from the box, pitched for Cornell. He struck out seven men, allowed but three hits, and gave four bases on balls, but his work in the box was good on the whole and three of the four hits were due to bad bounds on infield balls. Except in the fourth inning, when it rained, Freeman was very effective for Yale. Philbin injured his ankle again running to first base and was forced to retire.

All of Cornell's runs were made in the fourth inning after Magner had struck out. Rutherford, Williams, Thompson, and Howard singled in succession, and Goodwillie's fly was dropped by Badger, netting all the runs scored by either team during the afternoon. Magner played well for Cornell, making several difficult stops and good throws.

Only one Yale man reached third base. In the fourth inning, Badger was passed and went to third on Logan's scratch hit. The men that followed him were easily put out. Logan, Merritt and Stevens played the best game for Yale.

The score by innings: Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  R.  H.  E. Yale,  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  3  0 Cornell,  0  0  0  3  0  0  0  0  0  3  7  1

Batteries--Yale: Freeman and Philbin, Carhart; Cornell; Goodwillie and Williams.