DRAWLESS BRIDGE ALLOWED

Structure Over Charles in Memory of G. W. Weld '61 Made Possible.

The bill permitting the construction of a drawless bridge over the Charles River at Boylston street has been passed by the House of Representatives without opposition. A bill has been introduced into the Senate by Senator Crane, of Massachusetts, similar to the one passed, except that it provides that the height of the arch shall be 12 feet above the water level instead of 10. This provision was made to forestall any possible objections of the War Department.

It has been announced that the bridge offered by Larz Anderson '88 will be erected in memory of George Walker Weld '61, who died in 1905, and who throughout his life worked to place rowing at Harvard on a broader footing. He founded in 1889 the Harvard Rowing Club, which became in 1890 the Weld Boat Club. The present Weld boathouse was given by the members of Mr. Weld's family in 1907. Mr. Weld was an uncle of Mrs. Larz Anderson.

Though the bill in progress through Congress makes possible the construction of the drawless bridge to the Stadium, its details have been objected to by a number of prominent alumni, who went to Washington yesterday to consider the measure. In case of a disagreement the whole matter may be dropped until the next session of Congress.