UNIVERSITY FOURS RACED

Over Two-Mile Course in Fast Time.--Freshman Eight Much Improved.

Harvard Crew Quarters, New London, Conn., June 22, 1910.--The Freshman eight was given a hard time row over the two-mile course this morning. The crew left the mark rowing 38 but after the first hundred yards lowered it to 34. This pace was kept up until just before the finish when the stroke went up again to 38. No time was given out but Coach Wray expressed great satisfaction at the work of the crew. The other crews had light work this morning.

In the afternoon harder work was given all the crews except the Freshman eight. The University crew, after being taken down-stream in the "John Harvard" rowed back to the boathouse over a three-mile course. No time was taken.

The two University fours were given a hard race over the upper two miles of the course, from the Navy Yard to the finish opposite Red Top. The second four left the mark rowing a higher stroke than the University four, thus gaining a substantial lead at the start. At the mile mark, which was reached in 5 minutes, 54 3-4 seconds, the second four led by one-quarter of a length. At this point in the race the University four was retarded by the waves of a passing tug. For the last half-mile the crews interchanged positions many times, the University four finally winning by one-half a length. Taking into account the slightly unfavorable conditions, the time of 12 minutes, 11 1-2 seconds was very creditable.