Promotion of Music in University

A series of five Expositions of Chamber Music, by, Mr. Arthur Whiting, will be given this year on the following Thursday evenings at 8 o'clock: November 9, December 7, January 11, February 15, and March 14.

On account of the enthusiastic interest shown in these expositions by the students, they will be given, as formerly, in New Lecture Hall, by reason of its greater seating capacity and its excellent acoustic properties. This will be the first year of a second four years' course of classical and modern chamber music, which has been arranged by a number of persons, chiefly Harvard alumni, interested in musical education, who feel that American universities do not afford sufficient opportunities for developing the musical taste of those of their members who are not especially devoted to musical studies. In order, therefore, to encourage an intelligent appreciation of music among young men who have a normal sense of its beauty, they have united on the following proposals:

1. That a uniform series of five monthly expositions of classical and modern chamber music be given in Eastern universities and colleges in the academic year 1911-12 by Mr. Arthur Whiting, who will be assisted in some of the performances by suitable artists.

2. That heads of music departments, or other representatives of colleges, in which these expositions are given, shall act as an advisory committee with Mr. Whiting.

3. That a sum of money be contributed by individuals for the necessary expenses; subscriptions being for the general fund or for single colleges as designated.

The treasurer is Mr. Charles O. Brewster '79, 26 Liberty street, New York.