Football at Yale and Dartmouth

Yale.

At present injuries are playing a serious part in determining the make-up of the Yale eleven. In the beginning only minor bruises were experienced but the injury of Baker, the only sophomore to get the "Y" last year, and therefore a prominent candidate for the captaincy next season, has deprived the backfield of a most promising player. Not so serious are the accidents to Bomeisler, Camp and Gallauer. Camp was used for a short while in the Syracuse game on Saturday and it is thought that he will be in shape for some of the later games. Gallauer will be out for two weeks more with a broken finger which he sustained in the Wesleyan game. The coaches hope to see all three ends back for the contest with West Point which will come a week from next Saturday, and Frank Hinkey is expected within a few days in order to get the ends in shape for that game.

Paul will return to the game at right tackle this week, after a fortnight's absence, caused by a pulled tendon. Scully has not been played frequently, as he is already in form. Perry, the wrestling team captain, has taken the position of first substitute from Warren and will be used in nearly all the games this fall.

Francis, Childs and McDevitt are used at guard regularly, and all three will get into the big games. Cooney, the former Exeter player, is playing a fine game at either centre or guard. Read, who was first string centre till injured, will return to play this week, but has an uphill task to displace Ketcham, the freshman snap-back of last season, who is playing a fast and powerful game. Indications are that Cooney will win the competition for the second string snapback.

Captain Howe is being restrained by the coaches from playing often in the daily practice and will be allowed to scrimmage only one or two days a week the rest of the season. Foss, the freshman quarter of last year, and Dick Merritt, who defeated Howe as the regular freshman quarter two years ago, are having a lively race as the second string quarter, with chances in favor of Foss, whose distance punting is the best of any member of the squad.

Reilly, Spalding and Philbin will remain the first set of backs till after the West Point game. Reilly's fault is slowness, but he is powerful and in the plunging role has made good. Spalding is the best end runner and one of the best punters and drop-kickers of the squad. Philbin is approaching form and, as a dodging and a plunging back, gives promise of proving one of the most valuable members of the team. Anderson, the former Wisconsin back, is the hardest line forcer of the team, but fails to get his signals straight and to follow his interference well. He is in fine form in both distance punting and drop kicking, but is erratic in his place kicking.

Dartmouth.

Variations of the forward pass have formed the largest part of the work at Hanover during the past week. The game with Bowdoin on Wednesday which resulted in a 23 to 0 victory for Dartmouth showed that a last the coaches have succeeded in finding a line of unusual strength. In the game on Wednesday the forward pass was used at every opportunity and most of them were responsible for touchdowns. Every evening the whole squad meets in the new gymnasium where the coaches give out the new plays to be tried the next day. So far there has been very little attempt to develop one set of eleven men, but Coach Cavanaugh has a list of exceedingly strong second-string men. In the game with Colby on Saturday the team suffered greatly from penalties, and humbles on the wet field prevented any accurate estimate of the true strength of the backfield. Hogsett at quarterback has shown the greatest improvement during the last week.