ENCOURAGING FOOTBALL WORK

UNIVERSITY TEAM SCORED TWICE ON SUBSTITUTE ELEVEN.

Football prospects brightened some what in the practice yesterday afternoon, for in at 45-minute scrimmage of hard and fast playing the University team scored twice on the substitutes and held the latter strong eleven to one score, resulting from a fumbled punt by the first. The University team took the ball in midfield and score in ten minutes, a 25-yard run by Reynolds placing the ball in a position for Wendell's touchdown. The next score was by the substitutes, Black all kicked a bouncing ball to the University 10-yard line, where it was recovered by Jenckes. From there Pierce went around end for a touchdown. This was the only chance to score that the substitutes had during the scrimmage. The third score was made by the University team shortly after, Reynolds going across the goal-line from the 15 yard line on a play through the substitutes' forwards. Practice ended with a 20-minute signal drill.

Felton and Campbell in Scrimmage.

Felton and Campbell were back in the scrimmage yesterday, the former during the first 15 minutes and the latter going in and out as the coaches saw fit. While Felton was playing, most of the time was taken up with exchanges of punts between him and Black all. Felton's kicks averaged well over 45 yards both with and against the wind.

Weak Spots in University Team.

In spite of the fact that the first team could much more than hold its own against its substitutes, however, there were several sports in the Playing that showed where improvement is necessary. The scores made were largely the result of individual work by the backs and were not brought about by a swift and solid interference. T. Frothingham who has been out of the game more or less all of last season and this got into the scrimmage again yesterday; but showed that he would be unable to stand a long gruelling game.

Ends and Backs do Good Work.

The most encouraging features of the game were in the work of the ends and of the University backs in running in punts. Smith and O'Brien covered the kicks every time and usually threw the runner before he could get fairly started, Reynolds made several good gains from punts. But these strong points need the bolstering up of a good interference to put the team into first class condition for the Dartmouth game; and as there will be no more hard Scrimmage the strengthening must be done in the light work of today and tomorrow. Store was still at right tackle and played a good game.

The line-ups: UNIVERSITY.  SUBSTITUTES. Smith, Hollister; l.e.  r.e., Hollister, Tobey Hitchcock, l.t.  r.t., Jenckes, Starr Leslie. l.g.  r.g., Keays Parameter, c.  c., T. H. Frothingham Fisher, r.g.  l.g., Blodgett; Stow Storer, Jenckes, r.t.  l.t., Lingard, Holt Felton, O'Brien, r.e.  l,e.,Howard,Dana Gardner, q,b.  q.b., Freedley, Bradley Reynolds, Frothingham, Campbell, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Pierce, Bettle Wendell, Morrison, r.h.b,  l.h.b., Graustein Huntington, f.b.  f.b., Blackall